Friday, April 24, 2015

Recital Night

This morning as I was eating my breakfast, Eliot, the 2-year-old of the home, wanted to watch tigers on my iPad, because they're his favorite.  I told him that we would after breakfast, but then he got distracted by something, and then I started a project to get things ready for the recital, and then we went on a series on errands while the cleaners came, and then they stayed out of the house in the afternoon while I practiced.

I played the recital this evening.  Everyone was very nice, very friendly.  It was a pleasure, such a pleasure, to have the opportunity to play in such close proximity to the audience, to be able to prepare this program after so much time of only playing in orchestra.  The world of music is so much bigger than it has been.

Lots of people came up to talk to me and I got to meet them, another difference from the world of orchestral playing in Japan.  And we had herbal tea and peanuts and M&M's and Teddy Grahams.

And afterwards, I found Eliot and we sat down at the kitchen counter with my iPad.  He separated the peanuts from the M&M's and gave them to me and we had a post-concert snack while we watched tiger videos, and dolphin videos, and some videos of dachshunds.

A few people came back with their Mexican dinner and we all sat around the kitchen table, chatting, talking about raising money for the music groups in which they play.  Just talking and hanging out as the evening wore on.

Tomorrow morning we leave very early for Arches National Park.  I'm not sure I could squeeze much more out of this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment