Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bridging Gaps

As I left my lesson with Fukunari-sensei today, I wondered if perhaps we could get a chance in the afterlife to explain and understand all the things that didn't go through in this one.  Perhaps I have some optimism that I will arrive at a point of complete understanding in this life, a point of complete expression.  One day I will speak Japanese and it will all make sense.  If nothing else, the endeavor has highlighted the absurdity in any such quest for understanding.  If we looked back on a life, what would we express more clearly?  What words would we find in hindsight, what emotions and hidden motivations would we realize existed behind our actions?  Would it ever be possible to find a way to bridge the gap of understanding with another?  Would words be the vehicle with which to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment