Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nice to Meet You

Sometimes I arrive at Fukunari-sensei's home a little early so I sit outside her apartment building, on a quiet street near a little tributary, and review the week's lesson.  Quite often there are children playing in the area and today I heard a few of them in the driveway behind the building.  A ball came bouncing out into the street and I become distracted by the suddenly still feet that had come running after it.  I looked up and saw two girls standing there, staring at me in amazement.  I smiled and waved and they giggled and ran back behind the building.  A few seconds later they returned with two more of their friends, peaking from behind the corner, giggling, until two of them bravely came out and said, "Hello!"  "One of them came a little close and I answered her in English, "Hello.  How are you?"  I paused then added, "Genki desuka?"  To help her remember what it meant.  She giggled and said, "I am happy!"  I smiled and said, "I am happy, too.  It was nice to meet you.  Goodbye."  I waved to them as I stood up and headed into my lesson.  "Goodbye!"  they called after me.  It was nice to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment