Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Learning in Japan

In Japan, I'm learning to bike in the cold, and in the rain, and with a cello on my back.  I'm learning that sometimes the grocery store doesn't have broccoli, and sometimes I can't explain myself to the people who come to my door wanting to sell me things.  I'm learning that there are hours of life that are full without being busy:  that being engages time, just as doing does.  I'm learning that no matter where I am, life continues without me somewhere else.  Thousands of miles away, or next door.

It is a practice in flexibility.  It is a practice in letting go and holding on.  It is a practice in patience.  There is distance and time in this world.  How to cover it, how to spend it?  What is there to learn while I'm here?

No comments:

Post a Comment