Saturday, June 8, 2013

Retransition

This has been a demanding week.  Returning from Thailand, jumping back into playing the cello again for orchestra and chamber music and self-edification, jumping into committee and chamber music meetings, biking everyday and picking up Tae Kwon Do again, saying goodbye to family and the comfortable fit of that sort of relationship.  My ears are still equalizing.  My body is in a different place.  My mind is wanting of deeper respite.

I found myself in different places throughout the day.  Places outside my routine.  Breakfast by the river, shopping in the mall.  When things aren't aligned, life seems absurd.  How did I get here?  Surely it wasn't my own doing.  Some part of me must have missed the transition, some part of me had no idea this was possible.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why I like to travel now and then.  It not only brings me to a new place, but it resituates me within the one that I normally occupy.  Transitions.  What can be learned from the act of transitioning?   What am I learning about my mind and body and emotions when routine is shuffled a bit, when things aren't quite where I left them, when my hand can't navigate the strings, my mind is tired, and I'm missing a familiarity recently revisited?  But somehow, despite this, many things are settled perfectly in place.  Like how shaking helps the flour find its way through the sieve.  Maybe this is the most solid place I can hope to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment