Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Beginning of Sir Neville Marriner

Sir Neville Marriner is with us this week.  Yesterday we had the full orchestra and played through the entire concert, encore included with no comments.  Just, "It will be a pleasure to work with you all,"  and a few other cheerful jokes and mumblings.  Today we had sectionals;  strings in the morning, winds in the afternoon.  We worked a little more on details.  And again we worked on the encore.  The Andante of the Reformation Symphony.  I think he really loves this movement.

It's a pleasure to be working with him.  I don't know what makes him an incredible conductor, though I have an idea for myself, in my own eyes and perception, what strikes me.  But I wonder what made him an incredible conductor in the past.  Was it the same thing as what I see this week?

I'm really looking forward to working with this cheerful, healthy 89-year-old British gentlemen whose "dynamics" sounds to me like "dinner mix."  This man who asks us if we'd like to rehearse from a certain spot, or if we would like a suggestion from his score, a relic likely worthy of a place in a British museum.  So many experiences in him, so many lessons that he will likely share with us simply in his manner of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment