Saturday, June 1, 2013

Last Day in Bangkok and Thailand

Back where it all began, in room 305 at the Convenient Resort outside Suvarnabhumi Airport,
Bangkok.  It's more comfortable this time around.  My brother is here with me until his 2am departure, so I'm not fretting over his 2am arrival.  And over the past week I've become more accustomed to Thai standards.  It was a shock coming from Japan, but I've come to trust a little more in the haphazard lifestyle where fastidiousness, tidiness, careful redundancy, and gentle courtesy are not held in such virtuous regard.  Convenient Resort is now a familiar Thai home.  There are no bugs or lizards here, but I wouldn't shirk them should they care to join me for my final night.

Earlier today, my brother and I took it easy after our day in the Thai heat.  We went to the Jim Thompson home, a beautiful Thai house and garden built by an American expat in the mid-20th century who brought silk to Western culture.  We then took advantage of a Bangkok elevated train to see more of the city, traveling south into the business district, catching a boat on the river to go north, walking through some neighborhoods to find another train station and taking three more sightseeing public trains before arriving at the airport.  Strange how public transit and a large overview of the city can make one feel its fingerprint a little more acutely.  

And also to have a few more experiences with the people.  At times it can be both fun and irritating to be so conspicuous in Thailand.  Walking around with western features and a backpack it is impossible to avoid the aggressive helpfulness of the Thai people.  "Hey, where you going!"  It's more of a demand than a question.  Sometimes from taxi drivers, sometimes shop owners or just random people.  In the first few days I just ignored it and kept walking, but have since discovered that despite the forcefulness in their voice, they are strangely helpful and seemingly undemanding in wanting anything in return.  They fill a void in information that no Bangkok map will ever be able to feed.  The key to Bangkok's navigation lies in its people and a small trust that it is ok to tell them where you're headed.  They'll point you there, even if the overly solicitous taxi drivers haven't learned the meaning of, "no thank you."

I've really enjoyed the time here.  It's opened yet another way of living to my eyes, ears, nose (so many new smells!) and taste buds.  I've touched more of the natural resources and people in this world and had wonderful company in the meantime.  Tomorrow I'll spend a day traveling, once again practicing the art of saying goodbye.  





















No comments:

Post a Comment