Friday, June 21, 2013

Family

It's so quiet in my apartment without my brother.  He's not a noisy person and is usually asleep by this time anyway so I'm not really sure why it seems so much quieter.  I've just gotten used to his presence in my home and look forward to his return from Hiroshima tomorrow evening.

What is it about sharing a space and a companionship with another person that feels so good?  How is it that we connect with one another?  Is it because I've known Ben for so long?  Is it the similarity of our genes that we perceive the world in a similar humor, or is it that we've come to know one another over time?

I deeply appreciate these connections with family and friends.  I think it is one of the many things that I am learning in Japan and that has been on my mind recently as I've had visits from both my brothers here–the invaluable and unknowable importance of these relationships.  It's so wonderful to be here, and it's wonderful to look forward to being home, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment