Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wakuwaku Final Beginnings

The first of the last Wakuwaku projects.  Two years ago, our conductor for Wakuwaku, Iwamura-san, stood on the podium and told us about Wakuwaku.  Even though we play this program nearly 40 times, he urged us to make it new for each performance, for every new group of children in the seats.  He spoke for a long time about the passion we should bring to the children.  We then proceeded to run through Stravinsky's Firebird with some light rehearsal, as well as the first movement of Beethoven's 5 Symphony, Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld (i.e. the Can Can but with all the stuff that comes before it), Bizet's Torreador, and a heart-melting arrangement of Furusato, a sentimental Japanese folk song, complete with cymbal and snare rim hits.  The idea is that the children will sing along, but as Iwamura-san says sometimes they are shy.  In all honesty, this arrangement would make me feel that way, too.

Tomorrow is the first day of concerts.  It's an exciting program and I do feel pretty Wakuwaku about it. Despite the brevity of preparation, I still feel like I'd like to play my role in it as professionally as possible.  I'm not sure how sincerely passionately I can play this arrangement of Furusato and the Radetzky March, but I'm happy to share in whatever way I can.  Looking forward to another year of children and exciting concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment