Thursday, October 17, 2013

Homecoming in Nagoya

Off to Nagoya today, by way of Shinkansen, to play a homecoming concert.  I'm not really sure what that means, but in about 36 hours I may have a better idea (or not....).  It would be great if we were on the sidelines of a football field with Japanese cheerleaders as we played Shostakovich Violin Concerto and Mozart's Jupiter Symphony.  The final fugue would be a very celebratory accompaniment to a touchdown.  But I don't think there is all that much American football in Japan, so perhaps this is a little unlikely.

Perhaps it is just alumni coming "home," as alumni sometimes do.  I suppose this is possible anywhere without cheerleaders and pom poms–this certainly has been the case in my life having never been to a football game.   Regardless of our reason for being there, I'll be on the sidelines of some cause for celebration, enjoying Mozart's brilliant counterpoint for its own sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment