Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Quiet Day at HPAC

On days and off days.  Quiet before a storm.  The 5th floor of HPAC, land of practice rooms, rehearsal space and offices was calm this morning and afternoon, the melodious chime of the microwave took a break from lunch, and the bustle of the office, always scheduling, always planning, stayed stacked away in untouched piles of paper.   I pulled out today's English edition of the International Herald Tribune which daily accumulates unloved in the office.  I just like to wrinkle its pages whenever I have the liberty of a slow lunch to do so.  Sometimes I grace it with some errant soy sauce from my lunch, and I beg the forgiveness of any who happen to find it tainting the lines of international news.  Hopefully they, like I, can look past it to see through the eyes of the Asian news source.  I can only imagine that a film of soy would add to the experience.

The slow pace of the day still contained the wardrobe boxes from the previous day's scurried educational outreach concert, clothes waiting for their bodies to retrieve them and relieve them of their disheveled state.  They act as place holders for business as usual, such as that is.  The day after tomorrow people will return to HPAC for the beginning of the next project when 10,000 voices will join us for a performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.  We will be in a different space, a hall, or rather an "arena," in Osaka.  And during that time, without our thinking about it, HPAC will continue on without our sounds and our footsteps, accumulating untouched copies of the International Herald Tribune, never to be blessed with my soy sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment