Saturday, November 17, 2012

Karmic Exchanges

Last night I had a dream that I opened my mailbox and it was filled with packages and letters.  And today, three surprise packages!  How does the universe work?  It seems it's always either handing out or hoarding karma.  And today it mysteriously took both my socks (perhaps in exchange for the postal gifts to come).  I just assumed it was Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet that inspired them to go sock heaven together, rather than awaiting the fate of some dryer to separate their worldly existence.  But I don't even have a dryer.  Japan is super safe for walking at night, leaving bikes unlocked and overflowing wallets on bus benches, and for socks to live a full life together.  I'm sorry to have lost them and a little confused at such an absurdity.

The lights are up in the courtyard of HPAC, exchanged for the autumn leaves.  The conductor spontaneously decided to have the violas sit on the outside of the orchestra, in exchange for the cellos.  At the end of the symphony today, he turned to the resting violin section in exchange for the basses that start the closing coda, thus ending the piece 20 measures early.  A quiet and confused ending in exchange for a loud one.  The soloist played two encores today, rather than zero.  I'm not sure where this puts today's karmic tally, or how I should carry forward.  Perhaps I'll just try to keep a closer eye on my socks in the future and enjoy my mailbox and the universe as it ebbs and flows.


No comments:

Post a Comment