Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day in Kyoto

Yesterday was a wonderful day in Kyoto.  I took a solo trip up to the city on the Hankyu rail line, where I had cozy encounters with sleepy commuters and watched their hands and eyes saccade in a different language.  I got off the train and took a crowded bus with my cello to the stop for the Golden Temple (Kinkakuji) where I exited with the other tourists and walked along a little street outside the gate towards the luthier who would fix the buzz in my instrument.  He greeted me on the street, there being no house numbers or signs in the privacy of Japanese living, and invited me inside.  Once in the antechamber, he closed the door behind me and after some moments of confusion I figured out that I was to meet him in his workshop at the top of the stairs.  I just missed the slippers, but no worries, I still received one of the most delicious cups of green tea I've ever had.  He looked at the instrument and gave me a different one from the shop to keep for a few days while he makes the repairs.  I'll go back tomorrow afternoon to exchange the cellos.

And then I headed to Kyoto station with this cello on my back and met some friends for a birthday lunch which ended up being an incredible day filled with the most amazing autumn leaves, temples, food and wonderful company.  All smiles.

Christmas in Japan (at Kyoto Station)

on the way to Hiei-zan, Enryaku-ji 

the wonderful birthday girl,  Melkorka!

one of the buildings Enryaku-ji

people were free to ring this bell and the steady slow pace of the low gong was always in the back-drop

Melkorka descending the ladder in one of the buildings

where words fail....

the view from the top of the mountain

people in line for the subway

Kiyomizudera lit at night in central Kyoto

Kiyomizudera

street/alley of Japanese restaurants, looking for a good place for a birthday dinner

good friends, good food

No comments:

Post a Comment