Monday, November 5, 2012

Mormons, Fall in Japan, and Tree Children

I wonder how many times the Japanese Mormons have knocked on my door.  Today was the second time that I've been home to answer.  My ignorance of Japanese meant that the door didn't stay open long and that the woman holding the book she was so anxious to give me slowly realized that it would have little proselytizing power in my illiterate hands.  It's ironic that missionaries of the past cursed the Japanese language for keeping them from spreading their religion.  In the 16th century St. Francis Xavier purportedly told the Catholic Church of Rome that Japanese was the Devil's language, invented to prohibit the spread of Christianity.  Seems the door swings both ways, closing quite quickly on 16th century Japan and apartment 8-203 of Akuradanchi.

But perhaps the Mormon visit is just the result of having no rehearsal or performances today.  I'm pretty sure that HPAC's schedule has some causal effect on Mormon visitations and rainy weather.  What other reason could there be?

On this day of open hours, I also opened my door to take a walk to the grocery.  I love riding my bike, but walking certainly affords the opportunity to see things a little more closely, fall (aki) being one of them.
Wild Japanese flower arrangement 

Japanese backyards 
sleepy dog and persimmon tree





















Another thing happens on days when HPAC has a quiet schedule, something I've seen on occasion.  In late afternoon the children appear, playing in the trees outside my window.

Children on tree tops
It's a strange world, Japan.  So many things unexplained.  How did Mormons get here?  How do Japanese weeds grow so beautifully?  Why are there children in trees? 

No comments:

Post a Comment