Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rain to Tchaikovsky

We finished yesterday's Wakuwaku concerts and a few hours later were cradled in the sound of falling rain.  A sound that condones the cessation of all activity.  I listened.  Tea and soup and quiet time away from the Radetzky March.

Tomorrow we have a rehearsal for an all-Tchaikovsky program that we will be playing on Saturday with the Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra, a Russian orchestra founded in 1930.  It's a side-by-side concert, which means I'll be one of 15 cellos and share a stand with one of the cellists from the TSO.  Additionally I think there are about 40 violins and probably 15-20 violas.  This is extremely large for a string section, maybe twice the normal size.  Their conductor, Vladimir Fedoseyev has been with them since 1974, nearly four decades, including the break-up of the USSR.  I don't know that I've ever worked with a Russian conductor that close to older traditions, nor can I call to mind the last time I played with an entire Russian cello section.  I'm looking forward to a unique musical experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment