Friday, October 12, 2012

Akuradanchi Days

Today it is chilly, fall is coming closer.  My hands smell like sand and smoke from the BBQ in the park around the corner.  A grill full of sausages, hamburgers and graced with Kobe beef, hot dog buns cut on the top to most appropriately (if not sacrilegiously) accomodate hot dogs.  A spread of snacks and and sweets including fish roe potato chips and rice crackers.  Conversations held in two first languages, and many second languages.  Will I ever understand Japanese?

Tomorrow we will perform a small chamber music concert for the people in our apartment building.  Whether this is a peace offering, a meet and greet, a gift, or some combination of these things, I'm not sure, but I'm looking forward to more formally meeting my neighbors.  An occasion apart from bowing my head as I take out my garbage and awkward encounters in the stair well.  And then we'll have a few days without obligations at the hall.  Looking forward to some time in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment