Friday, February 6, 2015

Groundhog Quartet

After a month of focusing on preparation for an orchestral audition, I got to bring all the refining skills of the process to quartet rehearsal.  Perhaps I will just continue to take orchestral auditions for this reason alone:  to become better at what I do through demanding standards of orchestral committees and thereby enjoy it more, to come closer to my own ultimate way of performing and expressing.  This past Groundhog's Day I watched the Bill Murray movie of the same name with a group of people in California and I couldn't help but be reminded of the audition process and the journey of practice in general.  Living something over and over again, trying in one way for awhile and being completely wrong, and then another and still not getting it, and then another and another until accepting that that is life.  And then wake up with Andie MacDowell in snow-covered Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.   But in the meantime, learning to ice-sculpt, and memorize French poetry, and for me, enjoy quartet a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment