Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Birthday in San Diego

It was so wonderful to be able to spend my birthday in San Diego with my Andrew's parents.  They have been such wonderful hosts this entire week.  This morning they took some time from their busy work schedule to take me to Torrey Pines Nature Reserve.  We walked through the peaceful trails of pines and cacti and down to the beach.  There were whales in the water and pelicans flew overhead, grazing the cliffs.  The sand sparkled with black iron deposits and deeply colored stones.

And then this evening they treated me to an incredible dinner at Stone Brewery.  A beautiful restaurant with graceful fires and ponds and delicious food.

And shortly after we walked in the door, two friends rang the doorbell and carried in two different cakes to share.  It has been so wonderful to be among friends and family this week.  Tomorrow, early in the morning, I'll be leaving again and returning to Japan.  It's been so short, but the time gets shorter and shorter until I'll be returning for good.

on the beach at Torrey Pines

Dinner at Stone Brewery 

No comments:

Post a Comment