Monday, February 25, 2013

Irasshai

The fifth floor lounge of HPAC is predominately claimed by members of the orchestra and the office staff.  However, now and again there are others–non-HPAC musicians or dancers–that take a rehearsal break on the red and black chairs, enjoying a snack and one another's company.  On rare occasion, those others are children, perhaps playing roles in a ballet or taking classes in the rehearsal rooms adjacent to the common area.

As I arrived on the fifth floor yesterday, I felt the frenzied and ecstatic energy of youth.  A dozen children in little clusters, running about, chatting and giggling–quite different from the somber lunch hours I usually enjoy with a newspaper on concert days.  As I passed one cluster of pigtails, I heard them say, "Gaikokujin deska?"  ("Is she (are you) a foreigner?")  I looked at them and smiled.  As I prepared my tea in the kitchen alcove, one brave soul, no more than 8 or 9 came over to ask me questions in perfect English- Where do you live?  What is your name?  My name is Kiko.

I was surprised how much it touched me that they should use the term "gaikokujin" and not its somewhat derogatory but not uncommon equivalent, "gaijin."  And it touched me to see their sheer excitement of having me in their country.  A very mutual feeling–welcome to the fifth floor of HPAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment