Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Public Affair

As I returned to my bike in the HPAC garage this afternoon, I saw a couple ahead of me walk through the door to the separated bike parking area.  As I came up to the door, the woman, carrying a small dachshund, awkwardly moved into the door frame, taking a minute to move aside before letting me pass.  I expected her husband to be right behind her, perhaps they hadn't realized it was bike parking.

But he wasn't, and as I walked to my bike I realized that he was relieving himself in the corner.  Oops, misread that one.  Time to marvel at the key to my bike lock.  What a key it is.  

It's a strange thing, but for as clean as Japan is, I see public urination quite often.  Along the river, to be sure, but even in the small streets.  Probably more days than not I pass someone along the way while I'm biking.  The drains are open and perfectly able to accomodate it.  Even amenable to it.  Where are the stinky alleys of Japan?

In America, public urination is generally reserved for those who've had too much to drink or have nowhere to go.  But here it is a far more democratice practice.   And there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment