Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Outreach

We finally performed our Christmas outreach this afternoon at HPAC.  After another lunchtime rehearsal and then a sound check in the lobby of HPAC, I ventured outside to see the various vendors and activities that comprised the event.  It's funny how much there is for me to piece together, how much I don't know about the things in which I participate.  This turned out not to be background music but a staged concert and I think there were other performances that were a part of it, perhaps before us.  And there was a suspiciously Spanish thread running throughout: we played the Overture of Barber of Seville (in promotion for the summer opera) and vendors were selling Spanish tortillas and Japanese Spanish hybrid ikayaki (grilled squid pancake made Spanish by the addition of ketchup and cheese).  And there were Christmas costumes for us to wear, which I felt might have undermined the sincerity of my performance of Sleigh Ride.  I also questioned my stubborn attitude not to raise the pitch of my voice when shouting "Merry Christmas!!!" to the audience.  When told that our voices were low for females, I said, "That's my voice," but then later thought, I'm wearing a reindeer hat.  Hard to know what integrity is in these postmodern times, but I'm having fun with the ever-changing backdrop.  




Serious business, this Christmas thing

perhaps one of the best Santa's I've seen

Christmas at HPAC

one of the AMAZING jugglers that practice in the HPAC square

Spanish ikayaki

it wouldn't be a chocolate pastry without a smiley face

Merry Christmas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment