Sunday, April 28, 2013

Japanese Economics

It's been an exciting day in the world of Japanese:  this last lesson endowed me with the ability to say that I think something and to ask others what they think.  I can feel the edges of my speech starting to soften like a stick of stale gum nurtured between my teeth.  Theory of mind guesswork can start to fade with this pinhole opening into the thoughts of others.  Granted, I will still have to tease out the return on my question output.  One step at a time.

The inaugural use of this came today as Kaneko-san asked me what I thought about prices in Japan.  I told him I didn't really think they were much more expensive than America.  And then I heard myself ask him what he thought about Shinzo Abe's plans for changing the economy in Japan.  "Ah muzukashi (that's difficult)," he said.  I think I'm learning that this may a euphemism for "I don't want to be pinned down on this topic,"  but still, he continued to explain that it would be good for exporting companies like the car makers, but bad for the importing companies like commodities.  He then drew graphs detailing the exact exchange rates for the dollar, yen, and euro in November versus now and also four years ago.

It's strange that after taking a long break from Japanese it seems to have gelled more.  Maybe my expectations have recalibrated; maybe Kaneko-san's grading of my essay was less critical, softened by our mutual gift exchanging; maybe the Japanese language missed me and decided to ease up and give me a break.  Who knows?  What perceptions can be trusted?

But still, it's often a lie when I say, "Hai wakarimashita,"–it isn't really true that I understand.  This was highlighted by today's exchange at the bike shop: "You still need to pay for the light replacement," I understand (walking away), man comes chasing after me and takes my bike back to the store, "89 yen," what? oh sorry.

But luckily, a lack of one type of understanding is often compensated by another.  I apologized and he understood that I simply didn't understand.  I'm trying and smiling in between.  Imports for exports, understanding for understanding, 89 yen for a new headlamp.  Sounds reasonable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment