Sunday, April 21, 2013

Another Night

Just kidding.  The American sequester of 2013 has sequestered me in a hotel near the San Francisco airport for one more night in America, one more sandwich on toasted wheat bread, one more parade of veterans carrying American flags through the airport baggage claims area.  I'm trying to turn this unfortunate delay into a vacation-like limbo in a huge hotel room, but teetering in the transition is not what I would have chosen.  Just like the LA traffic, I'm getting the full experience of being here, delayed by the furlough of air traffic control workers affected by Congressional budget problems.

But perhaps I have more to learn from this space between places, this time between times.  What more can I take in from America?  It's not easy to say goodbye and I feel myself wanting to move through it to the next point, to get into some frame of understanding, routine, relationship, for which I have some familiarity.  What a unique feeling to be somewhere and to be elsewhere at the same time.  To want and to have all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment