Friday, September 14, 2012

Sado

I was stunned to look up into Maestro Sado's face at the opening of the New World Symphony, yesterday.  I wanted to keep staring in the way that people are attracted to Weegee's photographs, but out of respect and shock I watched the music on my stand and absorbed the energy he was emitting.  Usually when I play a concert I feel that I have control to decide the images that I conjure.  I have some room to interpret the flow of the music as I wish.  But in this concert, Maestro Sado took control.  It was incredible and powerful, and I wished to give him my energy as much as I could.  But somehow I didn't know how to dance with him, I was so thrown off guard.

Today we played the same program in our home concert hall and once again Sado threw the force of his being into his conducting.  But today I decided to look at him and to watch him.  And I was able to alleviate the fear and look into my blind spots.  As I become more able to interact with his energy, I started to look for the personal in his conducting, something beyond the raw visceral energy that he channels so well.  He is a great conductor.  There is something very powerful in his conviction, and I'm curious to experience more sides to it.  I'm curious to hear his personal story in the way he leads an orchestra and the way that he experiences music.  I hope that he will share it and that I will have my eyes open to hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment