Saturday, November 9, 2013

Wasuremono

The wasuremono, the "forgotten thing."  Whenever leaving a bus or a train, we are told to be careful of our forgotten things, the Japanese way of saying "Be careful not to forget anything."  But how can I take care of my forgotten things if they are never forgotten?  I've never really understood what a forgotten thing was.

And then the other day, a friend of mine tapped on my practice room door to present to me my cell phone which I had negligently left near the locker room.  My wasuremono.  For how long does it remain a wasuremono?  Until the end of time?  My forgetfulness has bequeathed this item with forgottenness.  And now I can be careful of it in the future.  Until something is forgotten, how do we know to care for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment