Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wakuwaku End

Today was a Wakuwaku first and last.  It is the first day of our concert program which we will repeat another 38 times next year, and it is the last of the Wakuwakus for the 2012-2013 season.  It is the last of the last for a number of people in the orchestra to whom we will say goodbye next year.  We're losing quite a few members and it will certainly change the character of the orchestra.  It seems that we might be getting more Japanese members, which has me thinking about upping my Japanese study a notch.

During rehearsals for this Wakuwaku, we were told that this year we should try to curtail the instrument demonstrations a bit, or at least keep them around a minute long.  It was a sad thing to hear.   According to audience surveys, this is the favorite part of the concert.  The orchestra members feel similarly, and it's almost a blow to hear such a thing requested.  Based on our performance today, I wonder how much it will be regarded.  Little seems to have changed.

Tomorrow I leave for Thailand.  I'll be going with a friend and then meeting my brother.  We'll head down south to do a diving course and check out Bankok for a couple of days at the end of the trip.  I think there is only one overnight train, so hopefully I'll be able to keep posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment